
I just can't believe that it was four months ago today that Emmett was born. It doesn't seem like we've had him that long yet, but time keeps marching forward. This month Emmett got thrush and his whole mouth and tongue was covered in white spots. It's been pretty persistant, and the first medication we used to treat it never quite got it all. We're trying our second prescription now (the doctor said some bacteria is immune to the first medicine we tried) and hopefully it will clear up within the week. Emmett also has his first cold. He's been spending a lot of time coughing a horrible, deep, phlegmy cough and not sleeping too well at night. I took him to the doctor to make sure it wasn't anything more serious than just a cough, and it's not. I'm glad it's just a cold and nothing to worry about and even though it might have been silly to take him in for something so simple, I'd rather take him to the doctor and be told it's nothing than to just go off my own idea that it's nothing and find out that it was something terrible that I might have caught earlier if I was a better parent!
Although he won't have his well child visit until Tuesday and we won't know what percentile he's in until then, the doctor did weigh him yesterday. He's a healthy 12lbs and 10oz. Considering that he was a month early, we're awfully proud of the progress he's making. Sometimes I look at him now and then I remember what a tiny little guy he was that first moment I held him, and I can't believe how much he has grown!
Emmett smiles and "talks" to himself all the time now. He's happy to play on a blanket by himself, as long as he can see us. He still doesn't care too much for his toys but only wants to play and interact with his mom and dad. The bad gas continues, and he blows out of his diaper at least once every other day or so. Yuck.
Emmett doesn't like bedtime, but he's getting better at falling asleep sooner, generally around 7:30-8:00pm. I was instructed by La Leche League that to help increase my milk supply as a working mom, he needs to sleep in the bed with us so he can snack more often at night. I'm not a fan of the "family bed", but it does actually seem to be helping me. He generally goes to bed alone in his play pen and then we take him to bed with us when we go to sleep at night. Emmett LOVES it. His mom and dad, however, wish he didn't have such stinky gas.
At any rate, we seem to be fumbling through parenthood alright so far and love our little boy so much! He has brought so much joy to our home and constantly amazes us with how much better and more complete our lives are with him in it. Don't get me wrong, we were having a lot of fun as a couple before we had him, but we had no idea just how wonderful life could be until he came along. I think of everything we had to go through to get him here... the constant vomiting, the catheters, infections, pneumonia, operations... and I'm so grateful. I'm grateful for my healthy little boy, I'm grateful for my own health so I can enjoy him, I'm grateful for a husband who is the perfect father and is so loving and kind. I think about the blessings we've been given each day. I have never been so happy as I am right now.
3 comments:
AAAAAHH! We got thrush (Gregory and I). I hated it! I'm so sorry dearie! Having a sick baby is just about the saddest thing ever. But I'm glad you are having some fun along with the hard things! :D
Skyler and I were laughing couple nights ago about how we thought being newlyweds was the best thing ever... and now with crazy nights and poopy diapers it really is the best thing so far!!!
I love reading about Emmett and your adventures with him. He and Timmy are so close in age. They really should meet sometime.
Post a Comment