Sunday, October 13, 2013

Darwin the Dog-Cat

Ever since we got Darwin two years ago from the humane society, people have told us that he is more like a dog than a cat. While he definitely does some very "cat-like" things, I do see why so many people seem to think this, including us sometimes.

Darwin truly loves his "people". He is very content to just be nearby and yet doesn't always insist on rubbing against us constantly. Whenever we are outside, Darwin always likes to be nearby. When I would do the weeding, he would follow me around and always lay down about five feet from wherever it was that I was working. When Emmett and Bethany are outside with us, he's always nearby. He lets Emmett chase him around the yard, screaming and swinging at him with sticks, while he darts back and forth and up and down tree trunks and fences.

When Darwin is inside, he likes to be where we are as well. He comes into the family room where Emmett and Bethany are play and rubs up against them. He lets Emmett chase him. He wants to lie in the room and observe while the kids are playing and if Emmett decides to jump on him, he gets up and leaves without leaving a single scratch. Honestly, Emmett's only gotten scratched or bitten twice, and he's deserved a lot more! The last time it happened was when Emmett jumped on Darwin's stomach and was rewarded with a bite on leg that broke the skin a little. Emmett screamed for at least ten minutes about how, "Darwin did break my leg!"

Anyway, here are a few pictures of Darwin over the last two years. 

For about the first year and a half, Darwin had a water problem. We simply could not keep him out of the bathroom sinks and bathtubs. Obviously we had something of a problem keeping Emmett out of the sink as well. :)

Everytime there was a bath, Darwin would come running into the room and try to get a free drink. He fell/was pushed in on many occasions, but this never discouraged him.

Curling up in one of his favorite spots.

Even when we first moved into our Layton house, Darwin continued his obsession with playing in the tub. It was fun to play with Emmett, but what he enjoyed even more was jumping in the tub and batting toys around when we were all sleeping. His antics made such a racket that Casey and I finally got serious about training him to stay away from the tub and bathrooms. He's pretty good now about not getting into the kids bathtub now... while we're around at least. I still occasionally find muddy paw prints or cat hair there.

Darwin loves being around little Bethany while she sleeps. Lucky for him, I've never caught him sleeping in the crib (and I honestly believe he's never tried) or he'd end up with a lump on his head. He still loves to sleep in the rocking chair that's in her room, but I have to kick him out if I catch him in there with her. If she wakes up and sees him, Bethany gets so excited that she'll never fall back asleep.

Cuddling in a sunny spot on the floor.

Hanging out with the family while we play in the backyard.

Sneaking into Emmett's room to cuddle.

Sweet kitty has always let Bethany pull on his ears and smash his face as much as she likes.


Exploring the yard with Emmett.

Darwin wanted to come join the fun in Emmett's room one morning, so he laid under Emmett's hot wheels ramp and let Bethany play with his feet as he just hung out with the kids.


This one was taken just the other day. The kids were watching a rain storm, and Darwin decided to join them.
 
Afterward, Emmett came into the kitchen, carrying Darwin, and exclaimed, "Mommy, I'm just giving Darwin BIG HUGS! He really loves me!"  As I looked at the limp cat that dangled unresistingly in Emmett's arms, I realized it's true. That cat loves our kids and I have no idea why. I guess he really must just be a dog. And that's okay with us, because having a dog-like cat is probably what's saved us from buying a real dog.

No comments: