Thursday, April 28, 2011

An Unexpectedly Tough Decision


It's actually happened. We've decided to have me quit my job and stay at home during the day. With Casey's new position at work we've decided that I will only work part time in the evenings as a CNA to help make ends meet. I feel a little torn.

There are definite perks to this decision:
1. I will get to raise my child and not depend on a stranger to do it for me.
2. I will no longer be distracted by having every thought focused and trained on my students and my lessons.
3. I will maybe remember what it is like to live an ordinary, normal, less stressful life.
4. I will have time to take care of my own health and needs.
5. I will have time to create a home that captures the feeling and spirit that I want to be there-- something impossible to do when every moment at home is spent grading papers, planning lessons, or just being too exhausted to deal with messes or do one more thing.
6. My family will no longer take 2nd place in my list of responsibilities.
7. No more dealing with obnoxious teenagers that give me endless headaches!

But there are also disadvantages:
1. I've cried several times just thinking about leaving some of those same obnoxious teenagers that drive me crazy. It's hard to walk away from people you have dedicated so much time, effort, and worry over. And I think I actually really do love them.
2. I've worked so hard to become a good teacher and develop lessons, strategies, plans... and now I'm going to walk away from it?
3. I'm scared that I will lose all the skills and experience I've gained. Sometimes I think I never want to teach again, but it is so much a part of who I am that I can't imagine my life without also being a teacher.
4. What did I get my degree for or work so hard for? And now, will I never get a masters? I know I can go back later, but what if I don't?
5. We're definitely going to have less money and our insurance won't be quite as good. Am I alright with that? I won't lie-- I like having the extra money that comes with two full time jobs... it feels nice to pay bills and also see the savings account grow each month. Will we still be able to save enough to meet our goals?
6. Can I push my pride aside to work a job that any high school drop out could do? I'm an educated person, and I have to admit, I'm kind of proud of the fact. I like the worldly recognition that comes with it (embarrassing admission, but true). It will be hard to humble myself.
7. This sounds terrible, but as much as I want to stay home with Emmett, I'm also a little scared that when the summer ends and winter begins again, I'm going to become terribly bored. I hate being bored. I'm afraid I'll become lazy. Does that make me sound like an awful mother or what?

Maybe these are normal concerns when a mother starts to stay at home. Either way, we're going to take a running leap of faith and try it out! I am excited about all the good things I listed... just a little nervous and apprehensive about the other stuff I listed as well.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Totally normal, Lisa, to feel that way. I can't imagine you ever slowing down or getting bored, though. You'll be organizing story time at the library, play groups, learning new hobbies and homemaking skills . . . I'm really happy for you.

Joanna said...

Don't worry, in 14 years you'll have your own obnoxious teenager to live with 24 hours a day!

We (but mostly I) can't wait until I have a good reason to not have to work anymore. It will be almost the happiest day in my life!