So I keep forgetting to post and let everyone know, but I've been hired as the reading specialist at Kearns Jr. High next year! I'm excited to have my first teaching contract and can't wait to get started. It's funny, but now that school is over, I feel a little lost... and it hasn't even been a week. What do normal people do when they don't need to grade papers all day or plan lessons and units all night?
Kearns is a title one, ghetto school, which makes me nervous. However, I'd much rather teach there than nowhere at all! And one of the girls that I interned with at Diamond Fork Jr. High was also hired there as a regular English teacher, so I'm really excited to already have a friend there with me.
As the reading specialist I should have a reading endorsement. Since I do not, they are going to pay for me to get it in a process that lasts about three years. They will also pay for about half of my masters degree. Cool, huh?
In the meantime, I don't have any of the knowledge that a reading specialist should have spent three years collecting, so I'm just going to have to do the best I can without that experience until I can gradually accumulate enough to know what I'm doing. Am I a little nervous? Heck yeah. But is it also kind of exciting? Yep, but usually the former emotion stands out a little more than the latter.
As reading specialist at the school, I'm blessed with smaller class sizes. Although everyone else will have between 36-40 students in each class, my classes will be capped at about 25. Awesome, huh? But keep in mind that all of my students are kids who have serious trouble with reading and comprehension, so I think my work will still be cut out for me. The most beautiful thing of all, however, is that I will have a full time teacher's aide in my classroom every day to help me with testing, measuring progress, scoring work, and monitoring the students. It's going to be fabulous!
4 comments:
How exciting for you! Congrats and good luck!
Congratulations.
Yay Lisa! That's way exciting. Once upon a time, I went to a ghetto, Title One school. There are lots of pros, especially as a teacher. You will be able to make the most difference at a school like that. 'course, you will have a lot of frustration, but I don't know whether or not it will be MORE frustration or just different. Anyways, there are also lots of cool programs and funding for the kids to take advantage of that might make things more fun too--we loved that aspect. ;)
That's great, Lisa! You will be terrific. As for apartments, we really liked living in Midvale. The ward there was very nice.
And to answer your question about what people do in their free time, I think that's where hobbies come in. My unsolicited advice is to take up that hobby you've always thought looked fun but said, "When would I have the time for that?" I've decided that having something I look forward to doing in my free time makes me happy and feeling more fulfilled.
Post a Comment