Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Week Seven: Sept 30th to Oct 3rd

This week was insanely stressful. I’m trying to wrap up the term writing project and it has taken much longer than I had hoped. It certainly didn’t help that one hour of class yesterday was taken up by standardized testing and then my entire Friday was wasted by the “Diamondback Day” field trip. The project that I’d hoped to finish by Thursday was extended to Monday. Also, I didn’t have enough time to hold my teacher conferences with everyone during class (I am amazed by how time consuming those are) and so on Thursday I reviewed papers for the students who don’t have anyone at home to help them and told the rest that they needed to have an adult edit their paper with them over the weekend for spelling and misplaced or missing capitals. It wasn’t the smoothest move I could have made, but I just desperately need them to finish the project so that we can move onward. There are so many things I would do differently if I were to teach this writing unit again. I think things will work out alright and the kids have become very involved and passionate about their stories, so I feel like it was a good idea. I would just tweak it a LOT for future use!

Next week we will be scrambling to finish up reading Deathwatch. I’d like to begin instructing them regarding QAR and helping them to build the associated skills. I noticed that some of the results coming in on their reading comprehension tests are really horrific and so I would like to hit hard on building up those skills. QAR is one of the ways I’ve thought of to do that, but further suggestions would be welcomed. I figure that I can hit it hard this week and then keep going back to it throughout the year. I’m a little nervous about how to teach it effectively, but I’m referencing my Vacca book and I’ve been talking with Cecily and another teacher (Brooke Anderson) about the best methods of teaching this concept. Hopefully we’ll figure it out.

I’ve got to turn my mind now to the next subjects that we will teach- commonly confused words, sensory details, and the personal narrative they are required to write. My idea is to teach commonly confused words, sensory details, and writing conversations in a series of mini lessons. Since they’ve already done a huge writing project, the narrative will only be a level two, but I will expect that they utilize what they learn in the mini lessons. I’m considering using My Access for them to type their stories, or I could just have them type them into the computer. Do you have any opinions on this? There will be no peer edits or revising. They will handwrite their stories, type them, and then we’ll be done.

My thoughts are also turning toward the next term. We’re supposed to teach poetry and I’m so nervous and anxious about it. If I’m just a beginner in teaching writing in general, in teaching poetry I’m afraid that I will be an absolute disaster! On Monday during my prep period I’ll meet with Cecily to discuss some ideas and strategies for the upcoming unit, but again, if you have any ideas or suggestions on this as well, I would be so excited to have them!

I’m continuing to turn in my work by 4:00 or 4:30pm each day, which is a great improvement. It usually comes at the sacrifice of my weekends, but I enjoy being one step ahead each day and I’m beginning to feel a little more balanced.

No comments: