Thursday, November 1, 2007

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

When I was little, I remember how getting dressed up was the one of the greatest highlights of year. Weeks in advance I would talk with my other girl friends about what we were going to wear for our costume and how we were going to look. Somehow, as I've gotten older, the novelty of dressing up and looking foolish has no longer been worth the effort. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I made an honest effort to think of something creative to be (dead people, ghosts and witches get slightly repetitive after a while). This year, however, was different.

My roommates were telling me all about what they were going to wear to the ward Halloween party and when they asked me what I was going to do I began to answer nothing... until my eyes were opened and I saw a glorious vision.

As I opened my mouth to state the reply of the last 6 years or more, I suddenly felt inspired by my hair. You see, not too long ago I had been straightening it and part of that process is to blow it dry and brush it out with a comb. This results in very large, poofy hair, and I wondered at the time whether or not I could make it stand straight up if only I had enough hair spray. Naturally, this train of thought led me down a certain path. The answer then, which came out of my mouth, was not "nothing" as usual, but "The Bride of Frankenstein".

I really didn't know how it was going to work, so after drying my hair and making it as big and frizzy as possible, I went downstairs to Rachel's apartment on Friday night and we began to work on the masterpiece together.

First, Rachel teased my hair with a pick to make it even larger. Then we tilted my head upside down and sprayed it with extreme hold hair spray. A LOT of extreme hold hair spray. So much, in fact, that as I kept my head upside down and waited for it to dry, it actually began to drip onto the floor. So we took a hair dryer to it and sped the process up a bit. When it was mostly dry, we tilted my head upright and were amazed that my hair had not moved hardly an inch! So we then took a few (about 50) bobby-pins and shaped the mass of hair into a tower on the top of my head, then sprayed it with even MORE hair spray. After that we went outside and sprayed it once again with black hair color and used white spray up the sides.

THE RESULTS WERE AWESOME! (As you can see...)

I added some face makeup, put on a skirt and fishnet stockings, a black blouse and a cloak, and the results were phenomenal. I had forgotten just how much fun it can be to endulge in such extravagance on Halloween!
My hair didn't move the entire night. Not one strand came loose. It was a solid mass piled on top of my head and although I could feel it bobbing and swaying as I walked around (and occassionally bumped it into things- like the roof of the car as we drove to the party) it never seemed to damage our masterpiece.In fact, my hair was such a hit that when I arrived at the party, everyone I knew (and several that I didn't know) felt the need to reach out and touch my hair just to make sure that it wasn't a wig.



I was actually amazed at how difficult it was to keep the boys away from me with my "cool new do". There was one attractive young cowboy who was especially persistant in lavishing me with attention. I tried as hard as I could to resist his charm. The red bandanna, the vest, sheriff's badge, and beautiful cowboy boots weren't hard to over look. In the end, it was the droopy mustache that won my heart. In a moment of uncontrollable passion, I flung myself onto his lap, brushed one half of his manly facial hair to the side, and planted a big kiss right on his lips. It was one of the most blissful moments of my life.



In short, I have determined that the life I lead is very blessed, even though I have to dress up like the bride of a pieced together rotting corpse in order to get anywhere.

And it only took me an hour to get all the junk out of my hair, comb out the snarls, and get it back to normal. Maybe I'll do it again next year. Or perhaps I will color my hair blue and my skin yellow and go as Marge Simpson. Not as classic a look perhaps, but it could be fun...

4 comments:

Adriane said...

You are gorgeous! I love it! You go girl.

Candice said...

What a fun Halloween costume! I only wish I had been that creative this year. I'm so glad you had fub -- and got so much attention!

Lisa said...

So I just got off the phone with my mom and she was asking me questions about the identity of my cowboy lover. I was quite shocked. He's stuffed. He's made of straw and plastic.

I must admit, however, that it tickles my funny bone that everyone might have been thinking I was really such a scandalous flirt! ;)

Annegirl said...

Oh my gosh. You're my favorite. And hey, if it's working, don't put your life on hold for Halloween! Christmas is coming! Go as a Who! ;)